Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 3 workdays
- ✔️Shop Arcisstr
- ❌Shop Raitenhaslach
- ❌Shop Garching
- Order number: 043102020801
902 parts | Difficulty: Level 5
Since its completion in 1916, the "Thiersch Tower", also known as "Clock Tower", is the landmark of today's Technical University of Munich (TUM).
Friedrich von Thiersch was from 1879 until his death in 1921 Professor of Higher Architecture and 1906 - 1908 Rector of the then Technical University of Munich (THM). As around 1900, the student numbers increased sharply, he was commissioned to expand the college and planned from 1907 the first major extension on the corner of Gabelsberger and Luisenstraße. Since its completion in 1916, the 37 meter high, now listed, "clock tower" towers over the building complex. The tower portal with the allegorical depiction of technology and art was designed by Ernst Pfeifer, at that time Professor of Plastic Arts at the THM. It is considered one of the finest examples of architectural figurine decoration in Munich.
On the occasion of its 150th anniversary, TUM has restored and redesigned the monument on Gabelbergerstraße with the generous support of the Klaus Tschira Foundation.